RE: "S" rating on tires...

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: "S" rating on tires...
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:26:24 -0700
IMO, to some extent, you are _both_ right.  Several areas in the TR6
suspension are marginal, as attested by the number of people that find
cracked/broken frame attachments.  Certainly these cracks are caused by
stress (and a poor design unable to handle the stress), so more stress
(from wide, sticky tires and spirited driving) makes cracks (and eventual
breakage) more likely.

However, even cars that have always worn Redlines sometimes develop cracks,
so it seems like the question is not _if_ the stock mounts will crack, but
_when_.

As far as speed rating being an indicator of tire 'stickiness', it's true
they are not directly related.  It's also true that generally, tires with a
higher speed rating are also 'stickier', simply because the same people
that buy high speed tires generally also want sticky tires.  There are
certainly exceptions, especially when you start comparing relatively recent
tires (like the Yoko 510) to older tires (like the Michelin redlines).
 There are also many tires that have different speed ratings in different
sizes (which makes sense when you consider that speed rating is related to
heat buildup, which is affected by size) even though the compound, tread
pattern, carcass construction, etc. are presumably similar.

BTW the Yoko 510 appears to be obsolete, at least in the US.  Yoko no
longer lists it on their website.

Randall