Re: "S" rating on tires...

To: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: "S" rating on tires...
From: "Shawn Loseke" <SLoseke@vines.colostate.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 99 15:55:40 -0600
 An "S" rating is not to good actually (in my opinion). The base rating is
for top speed stability on a perfect tire. What they don't tell you unless
you ask is that the tire rating can also have an effect on handling and
braking. Basically, the higher rated tires, will have superior traction
over any tire with a lower rating.That traction includes the ability to
stop your forward movement in the shortest possible difference, with the
smallest amount of drama.
  Lets get back to the "S" rated tires. They are rated for a top speed of
112mph. Now you might be thinking that since you don't regularly see 112mph
in your LBC, if at all.  Why would you need a better tire? If you are just
using your car to cruise then you probably don't. In fact, these lower
rated tires will generally last longer because they are made of a harder
rubber compound. Now if you like to play in the twisties every now and
then. Then you will want a higher rated tire. Otherwise you will find the
handling limits of the tire long before you find the limits of your car.
Usually resulting in a stupendous example of understeer and you
straightening the corner in the wrong direction.
  The tires that I have on my TR6 are "H" rated. This moves them up into a
moderate performance category. For a good source of information, check out
www.tirerack.com  .  I also have slightly upgraded suspension. When I'm on
a race track, I can still reach the limit of the tire's adhesion before the
suspension bottoms from lateral load. But it is really close and really
fun. Also, I have exceeded 112 mph. Just not on a regular basis.
  To sum up. If you enjoy spirited driving in your LBC. Higher rated tires
will increase your pleasure and safety. Both of which should be high on you
list.

Shawn
-------------
Original Text
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>, on 6/9/1999 12:21 PM:
A 185R-15 tire ought to have an 80 profile (or be very close).  British
Wire Wheel lists the tires I mentioned as an "S" rated tire.  This would
certainly be modern technology, though I haven't had hands-on experience
regarding the handling, per se.  Perhaps someone else has and will let us
know.  Our club member seems pleased.  I forgot to mention that at Tires
Unlimited they are listed under "Spint Steel" but don't have a speed
designation---so I've trusted British Wire Wheel on this.  Also, according
to a table put out on the Triumph List in May, '98 by Brian Kemp, the
closest size to the original tires, with the least speedo error, etc. would
be 195/75s rather than 205/70s.  Yokohama makes an "S" rated tire in the
195/75-15 size.  Not every tire store lists them, and putting Japanese
tires on a TR6 may not be what everyone would want.

--Phil