Re:

To: rtriplett@bjservices.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:
From: John Dowson <jdo@star.le.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:18:48 +0100
Cc: walker05@camosun.bc.ca
Yes there are brushes in alternators.

They provide the connection to the rotating armature which controls the
strength of the magnetic field generated by that winding and so the
power generated by the stationary alternator windings.

The brushes are small compared to dynamo brushes as they handle
only light current.

The stationary windings generate the power in a multi phase 'frequency
wild' form which is then rectified by the diodes. The fact that alternators
are
multi phase with many diodes is also the reason that a diode failure can
sometimes be hard to detect.

John Dowson