Re: TR3A - removal of front hub nut dust cover.

To: jbonina@nectech.com
Subject: Re: TR3A - removal of front hub nut dust cover.
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 16:27:40 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998 jbonina@nectech.com wrote:

>      I've got to ask: If the dust cap has a hole in it, won't dust, etc get
>      to the wheel bearing and contaminate things?

This is why God invented hub caps ;-)

Theoretically you can run the bearings dry, with no grease... but we
don't, because the grease lubricates the works and also give someplace for
dust and grit to collect.

You don't pack the hub when packing bearings; this is so that melted
(broken down grease) can be flung out of the bearing and will stay in the
dust cap.

Also, unless you have chromed nuts (or mags, etc)... you need hub caps
(wheel trims!) to stop things from getting gucky... last time this
household experienced a broken wheel stud (prior to my escapade) was with
a '69 Chevy truck... no hub caps... nuts rusted stuck.

-Malcolm