Re: Reregistering a '74 i California

To: suchak@mediaone.net
Subject: Re: Reregistering a '74 i California
From: triumph_tr4@ridgecrest.ca.us (Darrell Leach)
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 18:01:52 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Posted-date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 17:59:14 -0800 (PST)
>Darrell Leach wrote:
>>

>> And a '73 motor in a '74 car would still have to meet '74 specs (and smog).
>> In fact a '74 motor in a '63 would have to meet '74 smog, and thus be
>> smogged every other year.
>>

>Hey Darrell,
>
>I'm not sure about every state, so there's a good chance I'm wrong, but
>I've always understood this to be the opposite..  A 74 motor in a 63
>would have to meet the specs (none) for 63, the year of the vehicle's
>manufacture.  Just as a 63 motor in a 74 car would have to meet 74
>standards.  It's the year the car was manufactured, not the motor.
>
>Then again, with some of the stuff you hear about California, I'd
>believe almost anything..
>
>John

John,

In Kalifornia anytime you change the motor BLOCK you are supposed to file
a document with DMV.

In Kalifornia the age of a vehicle is determined by one of two items, the
Engine Block or the VIN plate, always following the NEWER of the two.

So if you have done as you are supposed to (file with DMV on motor change)
when you put a 1996 LS6 350 in your 1965 TR-4A, you would have to meet 1996
smog specs and also be smogged every two years.

Sucks, huh?

So do you think all those Hotroders that shoehorn a 454 Rat into a 1932
Ford Coupe file the paper?

So Long,

Darrell Leach,   KD6LRC   DM-15,   Ridgecrest, Ca
  email: Triumph_TR4@ridgecrest.ca.us
         http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~token/PAGE1.html
1962 TR-4 (CT5368LO)  Everyday
1962 TR-4 (CT13108L)
1965 Spitfire Mk 2
1967 Spitfire Mk 3   In work, lots of 1500 stuff
Keeper of the TR-4 List, Version 2.0 availible.