Re: Reregistering a '74 i California

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Reregistering a '74 i California
From: triumph_tr4@ridgecrest.ca.us (Darrell Leach)
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 13:34:51 -0700
Posted-date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 13:32:03 -0800 (PST)
>All,
>
>        With the recent talk of '74 (and newer) cars no-longer being
>exempted from California smog testing, and are about to be hit by the
>insideous BAR 97 smog limits, I note that it is pretty commonplace
>for the Cobra-repro folk to plop in older motors and register
>the car as the same year as the motor.
>
>        Could we drop, eg, a '73 motor into a '74, then have the car
>retitled as a '73?
>
>        What paperwork etc would be required to have this done?
>
>        How does one "prove" a motor is from '73 (or earlier)?  BMIHT?
>
>        Shane Ingate in San Diego

Shane,

I think this only works on a new "special construction" vehicle.  i.e. It
never had a VIN to begin with.

For info, I have spent the last two weeks trying to get my '74 Ford
truck (built 9/73) re-registered as a '73.  No joy.  DMV is very firmly
staying with the "model year" thing, that is to say, whatever the VIN
says the year is.

And a '73 motor in a '74 car would still have to meet '74 specs (and smog).
In fact a '74 motor in a '63 would have to meet '74 smog, and thus be
smogged every other year.

You can prove the year of a motor by the MIN (Motor Identification
Number).  On some cars this is an actual serialized number, on others
it is just a casting number.

So Long,

Darrell Leach,   KD6LRC   DM-15,   Ridgecrest, Ca
   email: Triumph_TR4@ridgecrest.ca.us
          http://www.ridgenet.net/~token/PAGE1.html
1962 TR-4 (CT5368LO)   Every Day
1962 TR-4 (CT13108L)
1965 Spitfire Mk.II
1967 Spitfire Mk.III  (In work, lots of 1500 stuff)
Keeper of the TR-4 List.  Version 2.0 availible.