Re: TR6 Trani Oil Pug

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Trani Oil Pug
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 08:24:11 -0500
Cc: "'scott suhring'" <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>, "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Peter Zaborski wrote:

> I use a 7/16" _8_ point socket. This fits all 4 corners of
> the plug and should provide the best application of force.
> If you can find a 4 point 7/16 all the better but in my neck
> of the woods only Snap On and Mac have the 4 point sockets,
> Craftsman (or Husky, can't remember now) only came in 8.

I am going to highly recommend Peter's solution of a 7/16"
8-point socket.  It is truly amazing the difference to see
the difference of having the right tool for the job in this
case.  (An 8-point socket is intended for 4-sided fasteners,
having 90-degree "points.")

Craftsman (Sears) carries these sockets, and they are the
first "special tool" I would recommend for a TR6 owner.
The 7/16" 8-point socket will fit the oil drain plug,
the transmission fill plug, and the rear axle (diff) fill
plug as well.

Buy the 8-point socket, and you won't ever again have to
worry about rounding off those fill plugs -- if you already
have rounded off fill plugs, buy the socket first (to get
the old one off) and order some replacement fill plugs
from your favorite parts vendor, they're just a few dollars
each, and will make you ever so much happier next time you
go to change the oil...

--ken
VTR WWW Maintainer -- http://www.vtr.org
'70 & '74 TR6 Daily Drivers

PS:  Last night marked the official start of the "top-up"
driving season for the Streeters -- took the tonneau cover
off, and put the hardtop on the '70 TR6...

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |