Re: Triple SU's/FI

To: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Subject: Re: Triple SU's/FI
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 08:06:57 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Philip B. writes:
>All this discussion is certainly thought-provoking; and the challenge of
>adapting an existing system, or designing one from scratch, would be
>entertaining and educational, but why do it? What is the goal? If you want
>more power, there are much ea$ier ways to get it. Chances are that when you
>were engaged in this exersize, you'd do them anyway. Sorry to be such a wet
>blanket. I'd be happy to give an admiring glance and words of encouragement
>to the guy that starts this project. ;-)
The main reason is for better breathing, more power.  The reason for Triple
carbs, instead of just bigger ones, is with two relatively short, STRAIGHT
equal length branches instead of three long, unequal ones you can achieve
better, more uniform fuel distribution (cleaner burning, with less wasted
fuel is one benefit).  I would go with three 150 Strombergs on the GT6,
because with the smaller displacement v.s. the TR6, This would seem plenty.
 One advantage over F.I. would be cost.  WAY cheaper than ANY fuel
injection.  Plus there’s the COOL factor.  Really would look cool with
Three Strombergs, and a nice 3-2-1 header.  And you probably wouldn't have
to mess with jets much, using the stock ones would probably work although
in practice this has rarely worked out for me.  Linkage would be the least
of the problems with a triple carb setup, and I have heard of Richard
Good's manifold setup (thanks Bob H.), but its designed for 1.75s, a little
too big.  Yes you can go too big, and in fact it's one of the biggest
mistakes most people make when selecting carbs for their engines.  Then
they wonder why their car is such a pig off the line. . .

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )