Re: Gas tank leak

To: "Mark A. Erickson" <mlazye@northvalley.com>
Subject: Re: Gas tank leak
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 11:36:19 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>, DJROBERT@IHUG.CO.NZ, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 12 Oct 1997, Mark A. Erickson wrote:

> Malcolm,
>
> I felt like you do when I was 16 years old. In the history of this planet,
> gasoline has never once exploded.

Maybe not, but it's a volatile substance and it evaporates quickly.  As
you say, gas vapors do explode!

I just figured that when trying to repair a hole in the tank via welding,
and the tank is full of gas:

-the heat of welding will cause the gasoline to expand (unless it doesn't
expand when heated...?)
-the gas will then have to go somewhere, and since you are welding over a
hole, it's gotta either go out the hole or out somewhere else
-gas nearby will evaporate.  gas fumes _do_ ignite.  My grandfather had no
eyebrows for several months because he started a pit fire with gas...
-you now have a chain reaction, which may well lead to more chain
reactions...

As for patching holes, I'd either replace the whole tank or use a plastic
compound.  I quick-fixed 2 very small hairline cracks in my carb float
with some 5-minute epoxy.  It will be replaced when funds permit.  I
removed all the liquid I could by alternating the float from the sun and
the shade, turning it over so that it would 'push' the gas out through the
cracks on compression, then 'pull' air in on decompression.

> Question: Why do we use carburetors?
> Answer: To turn the gas into a vapor. Vapor explodes!!

They also serve the purposes of:
 -confusing gawkers (what the heck'r those?)
 -frustrating potential rebuild mechanics

> You can also use a product called "One-to-one" epoxy and fiberglass.
> Ono-to-one sticks to metal. Repair the outside with fiberglass cloth then
> pour the liquid into the tank, moving the tank about to coat the inside
> bottom of the tank.

I'd bet that most fiberglass and epoxies would have some sort of
compatibility.  Polyester resins and the like...