Re: brake drums

To: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Subject: Re: brake drums
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@octonline.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 10:42:50 -0400
Cc: Zempel David <Zempel_David@spmm.lmms.lmco.com>, triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Ken Streeter wrote:

> Zempel David wrote:
>
> > I'm planning on sandblasting the rust off of my brake
> > drums and painting them black with barbque paint..
> > Anybody forsee any problems with this?
>
> I don't forsee any problems.  Others have already
> responded and described their experiences with
> engine paints or even regular paints..
>
> The only thing that I would add is to use a thin
> coat of a self-etching primer on the bare metal
> first, and then use only a thin coat of finish
> paint.  I suggest this because the paint will
> act as insulation for the brake drum, and
> increasing the length of time needed to cool off..
> Even in the worst case, this won't be much of
> a problem in a TR4, since the front brakes are
> disc brakes, but this can be a problem in cars
> where the front brakes are drums....
>
> (The same advice goes for radiators, if anybody
> is painting their radiator!)
>
> --ken
> '70 & '74 TR6 Daily Drivers
>
> --
> Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
> Sanders, PTP2-A001          |
> PO Box 868                  | Voice: (603) 885-9604
> Nashua, NH 03061            | Fax:   (603) 885-0631

This seems like a perfect candidate for POR-15. This stuff goes right
over "cleaned" rusty surfaces. I've just tried some on my suspension
parts and the results look good and I doubt that you find a paint that
is harder and more durable. If you want more info, check out
www.por15.com. Usual disclaimers blah, blah, blah.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario