Re: Quarters in tank

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Quarters in tank
From: token1@ridgecrest.ca.us (Darrell)
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 12:45:31 -0700
Posted-date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 12:37:29 -0700 (PDT)
>>While banging on a frozen handbrake lever and yoke, my Spitfire's gas tank
>>sprang a leak. In removing the tank I noticed a jingle from within. The >Spit
>>is a 1970 and the quarters are of 1968 and 1969 vintage.
>>
>>Besides being a possible offering to "Lucas", any thoughts on why quarters
>>were placed in tank. If not, how about an idea about defrosting the
>>>handbrake?
>
>Tom,
>
>The service manager at my former company used to drop two pennies in the
>bottom of the control cabinet that we installed with our equipment.  I
>believe it was a "good luck" tradition from the fabrication of the Liberty
>ships, of WWII.  One penny for the fairies and I don't recall what the other
>was for, but he was pretty serious about it.  You could visit jobs he had
>started up 10 or 15 years ago, and still find the two pennies in the bottom
>of the panels.
>
>I have a call into him to get the details, but he is out on travel so i
>figured I'd post this until he found time to get back to me.
>
>Does this stir up a memory for anyone out there?
>
>Jack Brooks

Along these same lines (boy this will get rather far from LBCs) it used
to be a practice (and still is in some places) to include a gold coin
under the Main Mast of a ship during construction.  The purpose of this
coin was to pay for passage of the crew over the river Styx in the event
the ship foundered with crew.

Avast Yee,

Darrell Leach,   KD6LRC   DM-15,   Ridgecrest, Ca
   email: token@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us
1962 TR-4 (CT5368LO)   Every Day
1962 TR-4 (CT13108L)
1965 Spitfire Mk.II
1967 Spitfire Mk.III  (In work, lots of 1500 stuff)
Keeper of the TR-4 List.  Version 1.4 availible.