Quarters in tank

To: tambrose@tir.com
Subject: Quarters in tank
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 11:59:35 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>While banging on a frozen handbrake lever and yoke, my Spitfire's gas tank
>sprang a leak. In removing the tank I noticed a jingle from within. The >Spit
>is a 1970 and the quarters are of 1968 and 1969 vintage.
>
>Besides being a possible offering to "Lucas", any thoughts on why quarters
>were placed in tank. If not, how about an idea about defrosting the >handbrake?

Tom,

The service manager at my former company used to drop two pennies in the
bottom of the control cabinet that we installed with our equipment.  I
believe it was a "good luck" tradition from the fabrication of the Liberty
ships, of WWII.  One penny for the fairies and I don't recall what the other
was for, but he was pretty serious about it.  You could visit jobs he had
started up 10 or 15 years ago, and still find the two pennies in the bottom
of the panels.

I have a call into him to get the details, but he is out on travel so i
figured I'd post this until he found time to get back to me.

Does this stir up a memory for anyone out there?

Jack Brooks