Re: Quarters in tank

To: Tom Ambrose <tambrose@tir.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Quarters in tank
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 18:04:06 -0400
Tom Ambrose wrote:

> While banging on a frozen handbrake lever and yoke, my Spitfire's gas tank
> sprang a leak. In removing the tank I noticed a jingle from within. The Spit
> is a 1970 and the quarters are of 1968 and 1969 vintage.
>
> Besides being a possible offering to "Lucas", any thoughts on why quarters
> were placed in tank.

  Some people put ball bearings in their tanks. The theory is
that the bearings rattling around will break up rust chips
and crack off scale, sending it through the lines to the
filter before it gets so big that coming off will cause
major damage.

  The quarters could be a new version of this. Then again, I
do recall a lister finding the dissolved remnants of a golf
ball one time, that was surely a prank. Maybe putting a quarter
down the gas cap was somebody's idea of fun?

  (strange, given what a quarter was worth in 1969 it doesn't
sound like enough fun for the money)

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada