Re: 74 tr6 ( IRS Hub question )

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 74 tr6 ( IRS Hub question )
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 18:08:41 -0400
Hey Silas, you wrote

 >Does anyone know if there is a trick to getting apart the back hub
                               ^ ^^^^^ !!!
 >assembly of a 74 tr6?  I am trying to get to my back bearings to grease
 >them but for the life of me I can not get that assembly apart.  If you
 >have any suggestions please write
 >
 >Silas Warren
 >swarren@dow.com

Attention, Silas !  Stop trying whatever it is that you are doing now,
and get out your manuals. This is one job you do not want to start
unless / until you have the proper knowledge and tools; the `proper'
tool according to the manuals is a Churchill hydraulic press which is
capable of generating 20 or 30 TONS of pressure to unseat the taper of
the hub/stub axle assembly, yet do that without bending the flange
that the wheel studs mount in.  This is not trivial, and as Len R. of
`Six Tech' fame sez, this is probably one of the hardest jobs that you,
as a TR-6 owner, are likely to face and attempt at home.

Warning - many IRS hubs have been scrapped because of improper tools
being used to try to separate them; check out the core value in TRF's
catalog; also check out their rebuilt / exchange price, and think
about biting the bullet any paying it.  Even `good' used hubs go for
about $100. from any vendor who knows what they have.

Honest, check the exploded drawings in the manuals, see the large
tapered and keyed stub axle, see the torque it was put on with, and
imagine separating a tie-rod end of similar size.  At least one fellow
lister has the proper tool, and has rebuilt 5 or 6 hubs last I heard,
but even so he said that when they finally separate, it sounds like
a gun-shot, and hub and press all jump off the surface of his bench.

Len's `Six Tech' offers an alternative separation method, using a big
mechanical puller AND heat-wrench AND heavy re-inforcing plate ( and
another fellow lister has successfully used that method).

List, this comes up so often, is there a FAQ anywhere about IRS hubs ?
If it's on a web browser, I would not know about it, please inform.

Good luck,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio
former TR-250 owner; 2 very wobbly rear bearing hubs replaced.