Re: Electric Cooling Fan For Spitfire

To: "Eric Kieboom" <ekieboom@xs4all.nl> (Return requested), "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: Re: Electric Cooling Fan For Spitfire
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 02 Jun 1997 12:02:07 -0700
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 08008339318AF078-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 02 Jun 1997 12:02:07 -0700
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 02 Jun 1997 12:02:07 -0700
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <08008339318AF078*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Eric Kieboom wrote:
At 05:26 2-06-97 -0600, you wrote:
>My 74 Spitfire (1500) runs hot in stop and go traffic (its fine on the open
>road).  I've done the usual things to lower the temp (re-cored radiator,
>replaced thermostat, put water wetter in coolant, etc) all this has helped
>a little, but it still, gets hot in traffic.  Will an electric cooling fan
help?

It might, but I think you better first check some other things like:

* Timing. If your timing is off, you may run hot.
* Presuming you have SU's: carb wear. If the throttle spindle bearings are
worn, you're sucking in extra air, making the engine run lean and hot. The
effect may be similar with Strombergs, I don't know.
* If you have SU's with horrible Waxstat jets, ditch them and convert to
normal jets. I know this works great!
* Be sure the radiator valances are in place.
I used to have lots of problems with my Spit running hot, until I overhauled
the carbs and got the timing right. To top it all off, I bought a 13-row oil
cooler and a Kenlowe fan. The fan is still sitting on the shelf, because the
car has never run hot again after fitting the oil cooler (which includes a
thermostat in the adaptor plate).
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This is an interesting thread to me because I am having similar problems.
 Runs fine on open road and even in traffic so long as it's not really bad
stop and go traffic.  But in heavy stop and go driving it really runs like
crap due to excessive heat.  It seems to me the timing would not be the
culprit because in stop and go you are mostly idling or crawling at low
rpms, thus unless timing was WAY off, it would have no effect (my timing
checks out fine).  Bad carb throttle spindles would make for poor idle and
lean mixture all the time, not just during stop and go driving, so not a
likely culprit (again, mine are okay).  Assuming the plugs look okay this
should not be the problem.  And, yes, all valances are in place (but good
suggestion - I forgot to ask).

Eric does have a point though with respect to an oil cooler.  I didn't
really see a need for one as I only do some spirited street driving, not
autocrossing or racing.  OTOH, I have seen what an oil cooler can do for a
VW engine in terms of keeping the engine cool in hot weather and it's a
great idea.  I am thinking about adding one (with a thermostat for faster
warm ups).  Any thoughts/comments by others who have "been there done that"?
 I assume I would simply tap into the block using the existing oil sender
probe on a "T" fitting so as to retain the dash warning light, but where
would the return line plug into the motor?  Any recommendations on where to
get a top quality cooler with fittings & hoses (besides VB)?  Thanks.

Ross D. Vincenti - Costa Mesa, CA
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe