RE: Electric Cooling Fan For Spitfire

To: "'Barry H. Adams'" <badams@cyberport.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Electric Cooling Fan For Spitfire
From: Kris Kane <motrsprt@micron.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 09:34:41 -0600
My '79 Spitfire has the electric cooling fan, and it helps immensely in traffic.
I have installed a summer thermostat and a cooler thermostatic switch.  This
switch just tells the fan to turn on at a lower temperature, but you need to
already have a place to install it in your radiator.  On mine, it's right at
the
very top of the radiator.  As cruising on the freeway helps keep the car cool,
the fan has to do the same job in traffic.  So, if you want the fan to turn on
sooner buy a cooler thermostatic switch.  Don't know if you planned to buy
a radiator that fits the 79+ models, but doubt you need to do that.  Installing
the thermostatic switch would be the most difficult of this project I imagine.

Kris Kane

My 74 Spitfire (1500) runs hot in stop and go traffic (its fine on the open
road).  I've done the usual things to lower the temp (re-cored radiator,
replaced thermostat, put water wetter in coolant, etc) all this has helped
a little, but it still, gets hot in traffic.

Will an electric cooling fan help?  If so, can someone suggest where to get
a good one?  Victoria British shows one on page 82 of their catalog.  Is
this a good (efficient) fan?  Also, should the fan be controlled by an
adjustable thermostat, or a manual switch?

Any help or suggests appreciated!

Barry H. Adams
74 Spitfire (1500)