Re: TR6 '74 & '74 1/2 cars

To: streeter@sanders.com
Subject: Re: TR6 '74 & '74 1/2 cars
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Tue, 20 May 97 13:19:48 PDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Ken Streeter wrote:
        >[snip]  Basically, I think there
        >is a range of "74.5" cars that have some features like the 74,
        >and others like the 75.   These changes probably happened over
        >a period of time, and possibly not even at a single commission
        >number, as "leftover" parts were found in the factory...
        >
        >Here are the changes of which I know, and where my car stands
        >relative to that change:
        >
        >raised rear bumper:             Mine is raised (like 75)
        >rubber baby buggy bumpers:      Mine has them (like 75)
        >indicator lamps below bumper:   Mine are above bumper (like 74)
        >rear "TRIUMPH" badge on bumper:  Mine is on bumper (like 75)

Ken, I dont quite follow what you mean by "raised rear bumper".  Do
you mean "reaised front bumper"?

FWIW, here are the changes as on my car CF25186UO (Aug 14, 1974):

        low front bumper (like early cars)
        indicator lamps above bumper
        rubber baby buggy bumpers
        trunk-mounted license plate lamps       (like Bob Langs CF14111U)
        rear valence "TRIUMPH/OVERDRIVE" emblem (like Bob Langs CF14111U)

Perhaps my car is a 1974 2/5  ;)

Further, Jim Barbuscia's 1974 1/2 CF29215U has the "TRIUMPH" emblem on
a plinth mounted the underside of the rear bumper AND the "TRIUMPH"
emblem in the upper right corner of the rear valence (see his
beautiful car at http://www.snovalley.com/~monica/jbtr6.html).

        >>         The other interesting question is that all the references on
        >> TR6s say that o/drive became standard in 1974, but I dont see that
        >> in the commission numbers.  Comments?
        >
        >I think (but can't say for sure) that o/d was standard on *home
        >market* (UK-spec) cars starting in 1974.
Bingo!  Thnaks for clarifying this for me.

Any more information out there folks?

        Shane Ingate in San Diego