Re: Spitfire engine

To: astorey@freya.berry.edu
Subject: Re: Spitfire engine
From: Bob Sykes <s1500@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 16:50:49 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Alan Storey wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I have a  '71 Spitfire parts car with an engine that will not
> turn.  This car has been outside for years, and  I believe the
> problem is rust.   The engine is still in the car, but I removed the
> head from the engine.  It came off without too much trouble.  The
> upper parts of the cylinders look good, but I suppose the rings are
> rusted to the cylinders.  Is this engine worth working with at all?
> If so, what should I do?  I would like to get a rebuildable engine
> out of this if possible.  Thanks in advance for any advice you
> can offer.

I had a similar situation with a parts car.  The PO told me that the
engine was seized.  I removed the head, all looked OK.  I then tried
to turn the crank with a big wrench and it turned easily.  Pistons
were going up and down like they should.  Rather than reassemble the
engine I decided to pull it and check the bottom end.  I'm glad I did.
The crankshaft was broken.

Although it is possible (even likely) that you might have stuck rings,
I would pull the motor and at least inspect if not rebuild everything.
You didn't say if the motor "ran" before the car sat idle for so long.
If it didn't (or you don't know) it is possible there are other reasons
for it being seized.  It wouldn't hurt to check the crank end float
while you're inspecting everything else.  We all know what trouble those
neglected thrust washers can cause. :-(

--
Bob Sykes   -  - -  __,@_\____      s1500@worldnet.att.net
'78 Spitfires -  -- }-0-----0->     s1500@aol.com