Re: Spitfire Windshields

To: Todd Harbold <tharbold@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Windshields
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 16:12:25 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Todd Harbold wrote:

> All thi stalk of replacing windsheilds has popped a question into my
> head.  I'm in the early stages (read disassembling and cataloging parts)
> of restoring my '74 Spitfir.  I plan to repair the usual bodywork and
> repaint the entire beast.  I am considering the idea of removing the
> windsheild until I have finished the mastiest body work.  Anybody have
> an input as to whether this is good idea or not?  How hard is it to
> remove a Spit windsheild in one piece?  (Is it even possible?)
>
> OR should I just get out the big hammer and tell my wife that we would
> have had to replace it in order to pass inspection anyway?

Only if it's badly scratched or already cracked somewhere. Again, the
secret to getting it out is to "bite the bullet" and purchase a new gasket
for later reinstallation.

Cut away as much as you possibly can of the gasket where it appears on the
inside of the car -- right to the glass if possible. You want to get rid
of any part of the gasket that will restrict the glass there. The glass
will still be held in its own channel in the gasket. You might also do
this carefully on the outside as well.

Then use that hard plastic scraper or similar (NOT A BIG SCREWDRIVER,
ANDY!) to gently break any sealant around the gasket. Now get on your
Keds, brace yourself and, using both feet you can apply gentle, yet firm
and even pressure against the glass.

In my experience, this has about a 90% success rate. Of course, YMMV; if
it breaks, remember my name: Ross Vincenti.... ;-)

--Andy