Re: TR3 thermostats

To: JHarroun@aol.com, jamiep@cris.com, cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil
Subject: Re: TR3 thermostats
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 18:25:27 -0700
Cc: amace@unix2.nysed.gov, triumphs@autox.team.net
At 10:45 AM 5/15/96 -0400, JHarroun@aol.com wrote:
>TeriAnn,
>
>Maybe you can explain to me what is so wonderful about the original
>thermostats?  I happen to have one for my project, but I don't understand why
>they are different.
>
>Jim

The TR2-4A's cooling system is designed to cycle coolent within the engine
and not through the radiator while the engine is coming up to temperature.
This helps the engine warm up quicker, and the circulation keeps hot spots
from occuring in your head and cracking it.

That little hose to the side of the thremostat housing is the bipass that
allows internal circulation.  When the thermostat is closed, the water pump
pumps water through this bipass and through the engine.  When it opens, the
skirt of the thremostat moves down covering the bipas hose directing almost
all the water through the radiator.  if you have a skirtless "standard"
thermostat, the bipass would remain open and a high proportion of the hot
water would bipass the radiator and get even hotter. If you completely
block the bipass, you run the risk of head hot spots and cracking.  if you
leave it open you will have strong overheating tendencies.  Some people put
a gasket block in place with a 1/4 inch or so hole to restrict but not
eliminate bipass flow.

TeriAnn

twakeman@scruznet.com   <- NOTE NEW ADDRESS

Celebrating my tenth year on Usenet/Internet