Re: tr-6 cooling system question

To: J Gautreau <gautreau@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: tr-6 cooling system question
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 09:33:59 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 13 May 1996, J Gautreau wrote:

> My 70 TR-6 temp guage registers very cool (always). The dial barely
> seems to move up at all. I just replaced the voltage stabalizer as I
> was also getting low and inconsistent gas tank readings. The gas tank
> guage now reads just fine but the temp still reads very cool.
>
> My question is - what is the fastest and easiest way to determine the
> source of the problem?
>
> Is it a guage problem, a temp sender unit problem or a bad
> thermostat???

If I were a gambling man, I'd bet on the sender, perhaps not one of
SMITHS best bits. In the absence of any other test equipment, one could
simply swap the temp. gauge connections to the fuel gauge -- pretty much
the same other than the face -- and see what happens. Or, one could
connect the fuel gauge wires to the temp. gauge. Either way, you should
know within seconds if the gauge is ok, which it likely is.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *