hi to all...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: hi to all...
From: "Scott D. Sanders" <ssanders@mail.coin.missouri.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 01:37:24 -0500 (CDT)
hi to the list, i'm new here, wanted to say hi, and compliment all of you
on the overall high info ratio for such a busy list. i'm a farmer in
central missouri, musician, computer addict, and wistful former triumph
owner. got hooked in the mid-seventies on a 74 spit (and remember the
groveling at the british leyland counter), later had a "sprigit" that was
more project than driver, and a sunbeam. in the late 70's, fell in love
with E-type and xk/120 Jag things, but that's unrealistic for me now. the
last several years, i've been supplanting my english car lust with

blasphemy alert

datsun 240's. it's not the same, i know. but the old twin-carb 240's reek
very strongly of GT6's to me, (7 grand redline? IRS? 30 MPG or 130 mph?
beats the hell outta an Escort <G>) and there's a tremendous supply of
stuff in stock at my podunk parts counters very reasonably ($28 water
pumps IN STOCK!). the 280ZX's that were cranked out by the millions are
*not* the same car, those are squish-mobiles. my favorite barometer of
civilization is that i'm ten miles from the nearest pepsi machine... i
know that this is non-impressive to you guys, it's a cheap japanese
imitation, i know, but one that is very practical for me. i'm glad to be
hearing that there's a plethora of parts now, because my spitfire nearly
ate me up at the time, and it was only two years old when i got it.

and the good news, cuz i know everybody's shaking their heads at me by
now... i'm on the verge of being involved with my first love again, this
time a MK IV spit. a girl that i'm seeing (hi delores) has a chance at a
very straight and clean spit, been in storage, a friend of her
brother-in-laws, etc. the brother-in-law got it running, but he's a tall
300 pounder, and is having second thoughts. he's saying it's a 74, can you
guys help me out, i haven't perused all my triumph bookmarks yet, isn't MK
IV 71-72 only? maybe i'd better check the VIN numbers before this gets too
far. i went and saw it, mucho rain here in central missouri lately,
sitting in a muddy spot in his yard, haven't driven it yet. i was
pleasantly suprised at it's condition, appears to be original (faded)
former reddish paint, new alternator, top replaced in recent years, coupla
new rubber seals on trunk and above firewall. worst damage seems to be
parking lot dings, rust on left rear wheel well, and right hood latch
doesn't latch.  the dash appears to be whole, vital gauges working, seats
in shreds. was suprised to see solid trunk, and rust-free original floor
pan. or at least solid, couldn't look under it at the time. also something
was amiss with whatever holds the distributor down, clamp stripped out or
something, insta-variable timing. delores has a couple of mechanic friends
that won't rip her off on work, and is desiring this for a fair-weather
second car. i told her for 550 bux, she'd better jump on it, (as long as
the drivetrain checks out mostly ok) or else keep me away from it...

too many old cars/potential projects stuffed in my barns now.