re:Re: driving tests, speed limits, etc

To: tgentr@rw1.rworld.com
Subject: re:Re: driving tests, speed limits, etc
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 17:01:01 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On 8 May 1996 tgentr@rw1.rworld.com wrote:

> ....Perhaps we need to
> take a page out of NHRA's history and promote autocrossing as a way to
> take racing off the street.  I realize that isn't the driver's ed.
> ideal, but it may be a step in the right direction.

Well, Tom, as both an avid (though occasional) autocrosser and as
someone with much driver education college credits and some commercial
driving school employment in my past, I've been saying this for years!
With the possible exception of deserted gravel pits or large, smooth
farm fields, I don't know of a better venue for exploring (safely) the
limits of your car and developing your skills. And, with a well-run
event, one can eject the rare turkey who can't or won't learn to behave
properly.

FWIW, I took driver education at my school during the summer of 1970.
Both then, and when I later student-taught driver education in college
(1981 -- never mind why the 11-year gap!), we did utilize a 5-cone
slalom setup. I blew off a classmate's Boss 302 with my Herald in the
high school course. During the student-teaching session in college, I
demonstrated the setup with my daily car at that time, a 1967 Volvo 144.

I don't know if I totally convinced my college driver ed. professor of
the merits of autocross (I didn't even know what autocross WAS in high
school); I like to think I might have planted a seed, though!

Sadly, a complete autocross still is not part of New York State's Driver
Education Curriculum. Maybe someday.... :-)

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *