Re: Berry's Re: Antipodean greetings!

To: amace@unix2.nysed.gov
Subject: Re: Berry's Re: Antipodean greetings!
From: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 14:09:01 -0700 (MST)
Cc: TRIUMPHS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Andrew Mace of the Verrifast Triumph Register and the Damn
Francois Truffaut To Hell Club wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Oct 1995, Bruce T. Clough wrote:
>
>> ... Better than replacing the rear spring on a Herald!
>>
>> Bruce Clough
>
> OK, Bruce, occasionally I can be pretty dense, but what's so hard about
> replacing the rear spring on a Herald? Car on stands, remove rear seat
> cushion, 4 screws on the access plate, six nylocs on the diff. studs,
> one bolt on each end of the spring, and it's out in about 20 min.
>
> What did I miss?

There's usually a lot of monkeying around with a spring lifter
(pronounced "cheater bar") to get the spring in position to put on
the vertical links.  Not needed with later swing-spring models
like the Spitfire.

I've found that one can obviate the need for the used-for-no-other-
purpose spring lifter by living dangerously with a scissors jack.
Put a block under the axle, slip the scissors jack between the
axle and the spring, and twist carefully until the spring comes
up high enough to put the eye bolt through.  Not that I recommend
this technique, and if you kink your axle by not supporting it
properly you didn't hear this from me.

- Dan "In fact, what's a Triumph?" Parslow