Brake problm-need advice

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake problm-need advice
From: GBSimcoe@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 13:49:33 -0400
Thanks to all who have been answering our questions.... Now I have what to me
may be a big one.... Joe is out of town so I am hoping to get some idea of
what we are dealing with before he returns. On the 20 mile run into the
grocery today, noticed the brake pedal (1974 TR6) felt a little mushy
(southern mechanical term) leaving the neighborhood, took my foot off the
pedal and reapplied pressure-- all was fine.  Shrugged it off to imagination.
 Then it happened again and then again.  I would say that about 1/3 of my
braking felt mushy on first pressure, then would immediately tighten up when
I reapplied pressure after releasing.  The rest of the time it was fine.
 When I got almost home, the brake light came on (I knew there was a reason
why I replaced that burned out bulb last weekend!).  Unfortunately I didn't
notice if the oil pressure light was also glowing -- I went out a few minutes
ago and backed in and out of the garage a few times to see if the oil light
was on too, but neither of them would stay lit this time and the brakes felt
fine all 20 or so times that I tried them.  Any thoughts on what to look at
first?  Fluid level is fine.   Thanks Grace