Carb float repair and TR4 shift knob

To: TRIUMPHS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Carb float repair and TR4 shift knob
From: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 10:00:53 -0700 (MST)
Greetings, O list.

I suffered carb float failure the other night.  Major flooding,
gas gushing out of the carbon cannister, that kind of thing.
When I opened the carb the float just kind of fell out.  This
is a late Z-S carb float with the plastic float section and the
metal hinge section.  They are (were) held together with three
rivets, all of which had fallen out.

After determining the rivet holes were not of a standard size,
I widened them with a drill to 1/8" and used pop rivets.  Now,
pop rivets leave the compression head thingy still in the rivet.
Will these tiny hunks of steel add enough weight for the float
to not function properly?  Any guesses appreciated.

Also: any TR4 owners replaced their shift knob?  Where can I
get one? (the Vitesse uses the same knob.)  This is the plain
black spherical knob with no markings.  I bought one from Moss
and it's utter crap.  The threads are cast into the plastic,
are highly brittle and they break away with no provocation
causing the knob to just spin in your hand.  Any idea where a
quality replacement can be found?

Failing that, anyone know of a source of marked knobs with
a shift pattern like
                        R  1  3
                        |  |  |
                        +--+--+
                           |  |
                           2  4

?   Please don't say Pep Boys, I'm looking for one that at
least matches some authentic British usage like Jag or Lotus
or MG or something.  Doesn't at least one model of Jag use
this pattern, and have a knob in black plastic cast with the
markings?

TIA,
- Dan Parslow
djp@alpha.sunquest.com