RE: TR6 Clutch Master Cylinder

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Clutch Master Cylinder
From: "Bruce A. Krobusek" <74106.1335@compuserve.com>
Date: 11 Oct 95 08:51:49 EDT
>The clutch master cylinder in my TR6 is decorating the tips of
>my shoes with small drops of fluid.

That sounds familiar!  :-)

> Any ideas if a clutch MC repair kit would do the trick?

Probably. That's the first thing I'd try.

> Parts catalogs list components for .75 in. bore and .7 in. bore.
> I am not sure how to determine which one I have ('73 TR6 - Girling).
>Any suggestions for this fledgling mechanic would be appreciated.

The size is be determined by commission number. Yours should
have the .7 flavor.

My two cents: at the same time you might want to get a rebuild kit for
the slave cylinder and check that as well. You might then want to check
your brake fluid. If the hydraulics have been neglected (fluid not
changed in the last decade or so) you might need to do a few rebuilds.

One other comment. My local shop recommended (strongly) against
using DOT 3 fluid for the clutch / brake system. Now I don't want to start
up another religious war on this subject, but their reasoning was that
some of the seals used in the systems were made up of a type of
rubber (natural rubber?) that was not compatible with DOT 3 fluid. Using
DOT 3 could result in a lumpy, gooey mess in your hydraulic system.

YMMV. Myself, I've decided to stick with DOT 4 and get in the habit of
flushing the systems every year or two.

   - BAK -

        Bruce Krobusek
        Rochester   NY