Triumph GT6 Transmission lube

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Triumph GT6 Transmission lube
From: "Bruce A. Krobusek" <74106.1335@compuserve.com>
Date: 11 Oct 95 08:51:45 EDT
>I am a bit confused by all the discussion of Transmission lubrication.
>What is the reason?   My Owners pamplet list ordinary gear lube.   It
>seems so simple to just put in a good grade of 80W-90 gear lube.

The problem is that the newer (GL5 and above) gear lubes contain
additives that, over long periods of time, can do harm to some of the
brass / bronze components in earlier transmissions.

I just went through a *long* and tortured process trying to find out what
gear lube I should put in my older transmission with 'A'-type overdrive.
I called Castrol (in NJ) and they recommended using GL4, which is
only available from them in 35lb. pails. <sigh> I finally found a more
reasonable source for generic GL4 gear lube at the local Pep Boys.

        - BAK -

      Bruce A. Krobusek
        Rochester   NY
       tinyhost@aol.com