Solenoid or Starter ?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Solenoid or Starter ?
From: bv243@freenet.carleton.ca (Wayne Tallack)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 08:28:17 -0400
It's been encouraging to see so many electrical problems answered lately
so I pose mine.

I have a 72 TR-6

Upon starting my car after being parked for only a few hours it made the
most hiddeous squeeling sound.  The amp meter needle was jumping like
crazy.  Upon investigating the sound it seemed like it was coming from the
starter solenoid area.  I stopped the engine and could soon smell that
sickly burning wire smell (you know the one I mean).  Anyway a subsequent
attempt to start the engine was greeting withi that clicking solenoid sound.

Does this mean:

Solendoid is fried needs to be replaced?
Starter damaged?
Both?

What tests can I conduct to determine the extent of the problem and damage?

Thanks in advance for any info you guys might have.

--
Drive a British car and keep a mechanic happy.
Wayne Tallack 1972 TR-6 owner.  Email bv243@freenet.carleton.ca