Re: TR3 Front Brake Calipers

To: Killjoy@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR3 Front Brake Calipers
From: Keith.Bennett@bbc.co.uk (Keith Bennett)
Date: 04 Aug 95 09:53:31 EDT
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Micheal,
          I'd be cautious about using heat as the calipers have internal
rubber seals where the two halves join together (the bit that you're
never supposed to take apart).

Keith Bennett.

E-mail Keith.Bennett@bbc.co.uk          Phone +44 0171 765 3572
 MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMM

Your caliper cylinders are in the same condition as the ones on my
Spitfire...

Many are suggesting using pressure and/or disassembly of the caliper to
free
up your stuck piston, but I plan to try to use heat to free mine.

I made the mistake of allowing one cylinder of each caliper to come all
the
way free before unseating the second of each, so the pressure route isn't
quite so easy for me.  Besides, I don't like the idea of my brake pistons
becoming "2 gauge" deer slugs.  (They would be about two gauge, wouldn't
they?)

The plan is to fully clean one of them with alcohol, and put it in the
oven
at 300 degrees Farenheit or so and see if that helps break loose the
piston....  Then, if they aren't free, I'll drop ice cubes into each of
the
piston cups to maximize the temperature differential.
I don't expect to cause any damage by doing this, because my theory is
that
I'm just doing a local simulation of some very spirited slushy winter
driving.

Any comments about my proposed plan and/or the likelihood of causing
damage???

I'd advise safety goggles, sturdy clothing (no shorts or short sleeves)
and
some high temp gloves to boot, just to be on the safe side.  Hot brake
fluid
would probably be even more unpleasant than compressed brake fluid.

Michael Turley
Killjoy@aol.com
'67 Spitfire Mk2