TR-6 Brakes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-6 Brakes
From: MORROW@udavxb.oca.udayton.edu
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 1995 13:29:12 -0400 (EDT)
Hello all. Here's the problem. Braking seemed to be poor, most notably at
slow speed (like pulling into the garage, seemed like I had to stand on the
pedal to get it to stop) but much less of a problem when braking from
highway speeds. For insurance, pads & shoes were replaced and the master
cylinder rebuilt, but no change. I began to suspect the vacuum booster,
since I confirmed that the car would stop on a dime coming down from
highway speeds, but not if the the clutch had been depressed long enough
for the engine to drop to normal idle before applying brakes. A quick
check of the ability of the booster to hold a vacuum (used a small hand vac
pumop with gauge) was OK, but the manifold vacuum at idle (850 RPM) is only 10"
Hg
instead of the usual 18-20", even when the booster unit is blocked off. Does
this seem like a possible reason for the brake problem? Has anyone else out
there had a similar problem? Any suggestions as to why my TR has such a low
manifold vacuum at idle? Can't find any obvious leaks. Any help/suggestions
would be greatly appreciated!
      Best Regards,
Prof. Gary Morrow, Chem. Dept., Univ. of Dayton
300 College Park, Dayton, OH 45469-2357