Re: TR3 Front Brake Calipers (SAFETY suggestion) <1995080213

To: Marcus Tooze <tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil>
Subject: Re: TR3 Front Brake Calipers (SAFETY suggestion) <199508021357.IAA06529@vinny.cecer.army.mil>
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 1995 13:25:17 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, JPepper752@aol.com, streeter@sanders.com
Many people wrote:

> > Does anyone have and ideas about the
> > best way to get the pistons free.  All thoughts will be greatly appreciated

> <paraphrased> Blow it out with a compressor.

This is an excellent way to get the stuck piston out.

However, the piston will come out hard, much as if it was fired out of a
rifle.  Because of this, be very careful where the cylinder is pointed.

If there is any brake fluid left inside, it will also spray out all
over the place.  Brake fluid is an extremely nasty thing to get in one's
eyes.  I would *highly* suggest wearing safety goggles when attempting such a
procedure.  (Actually, it would be wise to wear them whenever working on a
car's brake system, even for such routine tasks as bleeding the brakes.)

Preferably, such goggles should be of the "chemical splash" type.

--ken '74 TR6
(streeter@sanders.com)