Re: Spitfire trunion seized

To: J.Daley@boris.umds.ac.uk ("J.Daley"), triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire trunion seized
From: Keith.Bennett@bbc.co.uk (Keith Bennett)
Date: 31 Jul 95 14:32:58 EDT
Julian,
       Once you've hacksawed through the sleeve and the bolt the only
thing holding the remaining section of bolt and sleeve in is the nylon
bush, and you should be able to drive this out fairly easily. You
shouldn't need to remove the trunnion/wheel bearing housing from the
shaft unless either:-

     The wheel bearing is knackered
or
     The trunnion bush has worn through and the hole in the trunnion is
oval.

To get the hub off the shaft requires an enormous amount of force, as it
is a tapered fit. You will need the proper tool to do this.
I've always used secondhand shafts on my Heralds, with new trunnion
bushes and UJ's. If the wheel bearing feels OK there's no point in
changing it, just grease it up.
     The wheel bearing consists of a largeish ball race which takes all
the load and a needle roller bearing which keeps the thing paralel. The
latter runs directly on the haftshaft so if this breaks up it normally
damages the shaft anyway.
     When fitting a new trunnion bush I always fill all the available
space with 'Copaslip'. The manual says use grease but its purpose is not
to provide lubrication (the nylon does this) but to exclude water. I've
found this to keep them good for 30,000+ miles.

I hope this information helps

Keith Bennett.

E-mail Keith.Bennett@bbc.co.uk          Phone +44 0171 765 3572