Spitfire trunion seized

To: triumphs@autox.team.NET
Subject: Spitfire trunion seized
From: "J.Daley" <J.Daley@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 10:29:48 +0100
My Spit 1500 failed it's MOT last week.  One of the problems was
"excessive movement in offside rear trunion bushes".  I stripped out
the half-shaft last night and found that the trunion bolt is seized
into the trunion.  The only movement that was occuring was between
the vertical link and the bolt, causing the bolt-holes in the
vertical link to wear oval.

(The rear trunion is also sometimes called "inner hub" or "bearing
housing")

This bolt feels like it is _welded_ to the trunion.  I tried the
large hammer technique and a long extension on a socket to try to
turn the b*st*rd, but no luck.  I took off the lubrication plug and
the trunion looks full of grease so I don't quite understand which
bits have seized.

Some questions:

1. How do I get the bolt out ?  Drill ?
2. Will I need to replace the trunion ?
3. As the bolt holes in the vertical link have worn, should I
   replace the vertical link ?
4. Should I just try to get a complete half-shaft ?  (expensive,
   but then I don't have to do 1-3 above plus press off and replace
   the hub, bearings etc)
5. When (if) I finally get around to reassembly what should the
   torque setting be for the trunion bolt - the Haynes manual
   dosen't specify.

Anyone who has been here before, please help a frustrated Spit
owner.  The forecast is for mid 90's F here this week and I'm stuck
in the wife's Vauxhall Cavalier :(

Julian.
       | Julian Daley,                     j.daley@umds.ac.uk |
       | Department Clinical Physics, Guy's Hospital, London. |