Re: Spitfire trunion seized

To: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570" <RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Spitfire trunion seized
From: Phil Willson <P.J.Willson@qmw.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 13:48:28 BST
Cc: "J.Daley" <J.Daley@boris.umds.ac.uk>, triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
Julian,

It is a very common complaint and I agree with both correspondents.  I have
used the sawing off method.  But:
> >3. As the bolt holes in the vertical link have worn, should I
> >   replace the vertical link ?

> As above, you could always try welding them up, and re-drilling them.  Do one
> at a time and use the other hole as a 'rough' guide.  Best bet would be to use
> a drill press to get the holes in the correct position.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea.  It may not last very long.

> >4. Should I just try to get a complete half-shaft ?  (expensive,
> >   but then I don't have to do 1-3 above plus press off and replace
> >   the hub, bearings etc)
>
> Why have you got to press the hub off?  British Sports Car Centre in London do
> complete recon rear drive shafts inc UJ,Bearings and bushes, don't know the
> price though.  I can find you the address if you want, they normally advertise
> on the back of the Courier.  Phil.W- do you know there address?

Yes.  303 Goldhawk Road, London, W12 8EU.  Tel 0181 748 7823 or fax 0181 563
0101

John Kipping may do something similar:
421 Aldermans Green Rd, Coventry CV2 1NP Tel 01293 645333 or fax 01203 645030

> >5. When (if) I finally get around to reassembly what should the
> >   torque setting be for the trunion bolt - the Haynes manual
> >   dosen't specify.

I also don' t knowcos my manual's at home.

> >Anyone who has been here before, please help a frustrated Spit
> >owner.  The forecast is for mid 90's F here this week and I'm stuck
> >in the wife's Vauxhall Cavalier :

That's bad! Final note: I have found that using a copper based anti-seize
grease prevents this happening again.

From:   Phil Willson
        Electronic Engineering
        Queen Mary and Westfield College