Re: Oil feed jazz and bearing blues -Reply

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil feed jazz and bearing blues -Reply
From: TLEAKE@novell.com (Tom Leake)
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 11:03:37 -0600

writes:

>>>That sounds like good news for several of the worried
correspondents. Phil or anyone have experience of engines running a
long life despite start-up knock? I would expect the knock to indicate a
little more bearing material is being chewed each startup. The next
interesting question seems to be at what point in the downhill slope
should you address it before the crank is in danger.

My 71 TR 6 knocked at started when I first got it.  By the time I sold it ( 1
year and about 4,000 mi) it knocked all the time.  I don't know how long it
had knocked at startup before I purchased it.

>>>I was one who observed the drop. The kit I obtained from TRF does
 not have an obvious restriction, just a flexible line of appr. 1/8" ID. I saw
a 10-15# drop on the gauge on a rebuilt motor with all new valve gear
 and a downward-hanging spinon filter. The drop in pressure makes me
a little nervous for the reasons Phil points out. At this point I'm thinking of
 removing it because I'd rather replace a worn rocker shaft than a
scored crank.

I agree, but perhaps going to a higher volume oil pump can solve both
problems,  I thought I had seen some available, but I don't see any in the
Vicky brit catalog I have here at the office.   My other thought here is that
the a newer engine, due to tighter tolerances it the bottom end may not
experience the same pressure drop.

Just my $.02

Tom Leake
Opinions expressed do not reflect those of my employer.