Re: Getting to the Speedometer

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Getting to the Speedometer
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 1995 09:56:29 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 22 Jul 1995 AMurray001@aol.com wrote:

> The odometer (replaced by PO) has got to 13999 and has stopped.  Looks like
> it is still being driven by the cable but is "clicking" instead of turning.
>  The speedometer is now showing quite a bit of fluctuation as a result
> (ranges from 60 to  70 when running 65).

Is this a Smith's speedo?  I have rebuilt my '73 MGBs Smiths with some
luck.  In my case a retaining clip had popped off, allowing the
push-the-odometer-device (a technical term) to also fall off.  After
working on it twice, I used some Loctite to hold the clip on... it's been
working for 7000 miles since.

The Smith's speedo is very straightforward.  It's not clear to me that
your needle fluctuation is directly related, however.  It's probably a
dirty cable or contaminated Hall Effect mechanism which causes the needle
jumping.

I think there are legal ramifications to working on your speedometer.
The most important seems to be stating "estimated mileage" on your title
when you sell it... something you already have to do since the thing
stopped.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"In a May 1994 speech, chairman [of the NY Times] Arthur Sulzberger Sr. said
that the information highway, 'far from resembling a modern interstate,
will more likely approach a roadway in India: chaotic, crowded, and
swarming with cows.'"