Re: clutch in/out

To: Joseph R Schneider <joe-schneider@nwu.edu>
Subject: Re: clutch in/out
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 10:43:59 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
On Thu, 18 May 1995, Joseph R Schneider wrote:

> my father was an import auto dealer as i grew up- he always taught me to
> depress clutch for safety reasons (car could be in gear and it might not be
> apparent) and several cars i've had including a 1968 corvette and a 1987
> stanza wagon would not energize starter unless clutch was in- it makes
> sense to me
> joe

You're right Joe,
        It's a safety thing.  Manufacturers like to include safety features
where there's a possibility of legal action. I suppose that if the
Spitfire were made today, it would have such a device to prevent starting
without the clutch depressed, but hopefully that would be accompanied by
a more substantial thrust bearing design.

For me, I always jiggle the shifter to make sure it's in neutral before
reaching for the ignition switch.  That's one of the reasons I don't
drive a VW. :-)

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6