Re: TRF spring compressor

To: streeter@sanders.com (Ken Streeter)
Subject: Re: TRF spring compressor
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@scala.scala.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 95 13:01:14 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>>      If I need the change springs (again) so be it; now that I have
>> the TRF compressor it's only about a 2 hour job per spring.  A hint:
>> spray the thread ed rod with WD40 or some such beforehand - it makes it
>> much easier, especially when compressing an uprated spring.
>
>Putting on uprated springs is a task I've been putting off for some time.
>(I have the springs, shocks, new bushings, and TRF spring compressor,
>but haven't done anything yet.)
>
>However, I also am not clear on how to use the TRF spring compressor.
>Could you provide any more detail on how to use it?  BTW, thanks for the
>hint, it sounds like a helpful one!

        Put a jack under the trunnion, take the load off the shock (which
acts as the limiter in droop).  Unbolt and remove the shock.  Install the
tool, two nuts locked together with a washer at the top, and put the plate
(curved side towards you) over the shock mounting studs, then the other
two washers and the final nut.  Tighten the nut to take up slack, then
release the jack.  Make sure that the position the a-arm is in is one where
you can remove the nuts on the inner-most studs - if it swings down too much
it can be a problem.  After the jack is removed and the compressor is taking
the load, remove all the spring-pan to a-arm bolts/nuts.  Then undo the nut
on the bottom of the spring compressor, perhaps using a wrench to hold one
of the locked nuts at the top to keep it from rotating (usually not a problem
when un-doing, when compressing it's more needed).  WD-40 on the threaded
rod and washers can make the job go easier, especially on compression.

        While lowering the pan, you may have to "bump" it off parts of the
frame from time to time that the inner ears catch on.

        And of course, assembly is the reverse of disassembly.  :-)

        Pretty easy job, all in all.  First time might take you 2 or 3 hours
if you haven't taken apart a front suspension before, but once you know what's
what it should take no more than 2 to remove and refit, <1 in a hurry.
--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D
Randell.Jesup@scala.com