Re: End Float

To: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@godzilla.studio.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: End Float
From: paisley@boulder.nist.gov (Scott W. Paisley)
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 12:15:22 -0600
Chris wrote:

 >      Why should
 >      the starter have to turn the trans over as well as the engine?

 > If the trans is in neutral, you're not turning over much at all. By putting

Most of time this is true, but it is turning over the input shaft and
gears in the trans.  This could be a considerable load, say if it was
quite cold out, and the trans oil is thick.  Start your car on a cold
day with the clutch in, then let the clutch out with the trans in
neutral.  I bet the rpms drop 100.  A noticeable load, IMO.  Point
being that even on a cool day, there is some load on the starter.

 > your foot on the clutch, you add the stress of turning over the (now-loaded)
 > release bearing - a not inconsiderable pressure in some cars.

Humm... I wonder which is more.  Of course the crank is being pushed
up in the block too, so that's added stress I didn't account for
previously.  I guess the only way to really tell is to see how many
amps are pulled in both scenarios.  I bet we're talking about minute
differences, but as for me, I think I'll begin starting the car with
the clutch out.  (If I can break my old habits... :-)  I think that
makes sense...

Interesting to think about anyway...

-Scotty