Re: wheel straightening

To: mhayes@msgate.cv.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wheel straightening
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 95 12:18:02 EDT
On Apr 28, 11:47am, mhayes@msgate.cv.com wrote:

>      I'd suggest looking for a local frame shop that might offer the same
>      kind of services that I found. By the way, heat is often used in the
>      process of straightening and excessive heat can weaken the wheels, so
>      ask it and be advised. Generally, if the rim is deformed, it will
>      have to be heated to be reformed. If the bend is at the seating plane,
>      straightening can be done without much heat.

I wasn't going to jump in on this discussion, but I feel that I have
to now.  I had some steel wheels straightened while I was doing
everything else on my TR-3 (the proverbial 8 year restoration).
Soon after getting the car back on the road (anyone remember cak's
account of our trip to Savannah?), while going around a corner at
a reasonable ( ;-} ) rate of speed, I had a front wheel buckle and
lock up on the caliper.  This caused the car to spin and hit a
sign pole, thereby undoing much of the body work that had just
been finished.  So, I'd advise being very careful about who you
get to straighten your wheels; make sure that they'll still be
adequately strong when they're done.

later,
John

rjl6n@uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU