Re: Car mileage

To: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car mileage
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 95 15:58:45 -0700
In message <9504242135.AA03536@nicmad.nicolet.com> Gary Schneider writes:
> >Scott Tilton wrote
> >Are there any slueths out there that might have some ideas to help figue out
> >if some of these old TR's have 30 or 130 thousand miles.  I'm thinking of
> >checking something like suspension or something.  30K wouldn't wear it out,
> >but 130K definitely would.
> >
> The usual advice is look at the rubber on the pedals and the carpeting in
> the driver's footwell.

On the other hand, you can look at the new rubber pedal pads and new stock type
front floor mats on my TR3. If you can purchase aftermarket parts you can fake
milage.

I had a great uncle into faking milage.  He used to drive a great deal.  He
would purchase a new car and when it got to around 14 thousand miles he:
- replaced the tyres and put the old ones on the loft.
- replaced the foot pedals, storing the old ones
- put seat covers on the seats covering the upholstry
- disconnect the speedometer.

He would put 100K+ miles on the car then detail it, remove the seat covers,
replace the factory original tyres, pedal pads and reconnect the speedometer.
He would sell the hardly used car for a premium & get a new car.

I do not recommend it, but people do it.

But then again sometimes people just park cars & let them sit.

TeriAnn