RE: Car mileage

To: TR4guyinVA@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Car mileage
From: Henry Frye <pp001287@interramp.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 95 18:37:52 PDT
Now that I have a good controversy going, I guess it is time to
give everybody the story I got when I bought the now infamous
250 with 28,068 miles on the title and the odometer.

The car hit our the Sunday paper. I called and got lucky.   I was
the first one to look at it and snapped it up.  The seller's story on
the car is not a happy one.

The car was purchased new by someone in New Jersey.  It was
driven for a few years, then the owner went to Viet Nam.  He did
not make it back.   (Does anyone remember when they stopped
sending troops over to Nam?)

The car sat under the tattered blue tarp for many
years.  About five years ago, it was sold in as is condition to
second owner.  Second owner is a TR fan, I understand he
rebuilt a TR6.  Second owner decides six months ago the
250 restore is not in the cards, so he sells it to third owner.  Third
owner buys the 250, then a week or so later, finds an awesome
MGC.  He looses all interest and six months later, runs his ad.

I am sure the car sat outside for MANY years.  The acorn shells and
cobwebs indicate the car has not moved under it's own power for many
years.  The top is as brittle enough believe it is 20 years old.  (It does not
have the correct reflective stripes, so it is not original.)

The clutch master cylinder was 2/3rds full of corrosion.  Brake M/C was dry.
Gas tank is not too corroded, I did not get much rust out of it when I
cleaned it out this weekend.  The crap in the fuel pump was 1/4 inch deep.
One of the carbs piston was siezed in place, apparently the damper oil
leaked down on the needle and stuck everything together.

As to wear, the seats are not very worn, and the "T" is plainly visable on the
clutch and brake pedals.

The engine started up easily after I cleaned everything up.  It really runs
well.
The clutch plate was good and stuck, it took alot of playing around to get it
freed up.  Second gear schro seem to be in great shape.

I really think I have a 28,069 miles car.  (I put 1 1/2 miles on her last
night!)

Has anyone ever spent the $40.00 for the British Heritage info?  What is
included?  If you get the serial numbers for all the relative parts, I think it
would answer alot of questions.

Also, is there any date code on Redlines?

This message is too long, I know.  I will try to behave in the future.
pp001287@.interramp.com (Henry Frye)