Re: Automatic Chokes: To Be or Not To Be...

To: David Brock <dmbrock@julian.uwo.ca>
Subject: Re: Automatic Chokes: To Be or Not To Be...
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 10:02:15 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

On Fri, 21 Apr 1995, David Brock wrote:

> Greetings Fellow Triumph-ites(?):
>
> My question stems around automatic vs manual chokes.  My Stromberg is
> currently fitted with a manual, but whenever I engage it, I feel like I'm
> going to rip off the instrument panel.  It's a two-handed job.  I wonder if
> anyone has any opinions about manual chokes on these carbs, and any reasons
> why it would be advisable to go either way?
> (Okay, okay. I'm also lazy and don't want to have to remember to use it)

David, I think most would prefer the manual choke. There are kits to
convert TO manual FROM electric, but I don't know of any kits to go the
other way.

If it really takes two hands, you probably have a cable problem. Most
obvious, and easy to check, is a sharp bend or kink in the outer cable
as it routes from dash to carb. Beyond that, the inner cable is rather
stiff wire and can get its own kinks that will bind within the outer cable.

Once you've made sure the outer cable isn't too sharply bent anywhere,
if it's still hard to work, try some WD-40 or similar penetrating oil at
both ends of the cable, trying to get as much inside the cable as
possible. (Also lube the carburetor linkages while you're there with the
penetrant.)

Short of replacing the cable, the worst case scenario probably involves
undoing the connection of the inner cable to the carb., pulling it all
the way out, straightening, cleaning, lightly lubing it and pushing it
back into the outer cable. Not always easy (and it might be easier if
you undo the hold-downs for the outer cable as well), but doable and
worth the trouble.

Andy Mace