Re: Introduction

To: Tom Leake <TOML@novell.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Introduction
From: pcarson@primenet.com (Paul A. Carson)
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 1995 13:42:42 -0700
At 02:33 PM 4/12/95 -0600, Tom Leake wrote:
>My name is Tom Leake,  I have lurked on the british car list for a while
>I just joined the Triumphs mailing list.  I also just got back into Triumphs
>last night.
>
>I just purchased a 65 TR4a IRS.  Commission CTC50509. I will need new seats
(including the frames), door panels etc.

>I also have a few questions, like does anyone have a source for
>seat frames?
>
>The paint was orignally 26, which I am told is Wedgwood blue.  I
>understand this is a fairly rare color for a TR4. I am considering
returning it to its original blue, but I am not sure if this is as desirable
a color as the red (except in originality),  any comments?

>Also I found this car at what seemed to be an excellent price and
>bought it.  Any comments on current TR4 values would also be
>appreciated.
>Tom Leake

     Tom, I bought a TR-4A IRS (CTC 78299 LO) two years ago and put it
through a full restoration.  It was Wedgewood Blue (originally), full up on
options(Leather seats, Overdrive and Wires), but I replaced practically
everything except for sheetmetal and chassis.  If you have any individual
questions, do not hesitate to communicate!  A few of my thoughts in regards
to your questions.
     If you need new seat frames, you might try putting TR-6 seats in.  They
are more comfortable, and a hell of a lot easier to find.  Some may think
this is heresy, but TR-4A seats are scarce, and if you're set on using them,
get a set of TR-6 seats while you continue your search for the correct ones.
You can always sell them. Be careful when buying TR-4A seats as well, check
and see if the backs are bent towards the transmission tunnel.  It was not a
lot of fun to straighten mine.
     As I mentioned earlier, my car was originally WW Blue.  As far as rare
goes, maybe it is, but I have had three WW Blue TR-4A's and it seems as if I
could never find anything else.  I personally hate the color, it has the
look of the early TR-2 boulvardier colors.  An LBC will never look bad in
Red, BRG, or Black.  Another reason to stay away from this WW Blue color is
the availability of the correct color blue for the interior and carpet.  It
is available, but expensive.  When doing my restoration, I selected a black
interior, because of its availability and the cost savings.  I then turned
towards the body color.
     Black TR-4A are absolutely beautiful and rare, but the navy blue is the
same.  Again, the navy blue has only the blue interior as well. Oh Well.  I
did in the end pick BRG.  Of course, I would never have changed the color if
the car was in good shape and did not need the complete resto.  But I did
have to take the car down, so it was a great opportunity.  I have never
liked looking at a nice paint job, then opening the trunk or bonnet to see a
completely different color.  If the paint job is quality work, then it
shouldn't matter if its original or not, as long as YOU like it.
     As far as price and all of that, it depends.  I paid $1000.00 for my
hulk and have over $7000.00 invested in parts, etc.  Around $8000.00 for the
lot.  Again I must stress that everything was replaced or rebuilt, except
for the diff and the gauges.  Is it worth this?  Probably, perhaps even
more, say $10K.  But, it IS a nice example, with a lot of problem free miles
ahead of it.
     I am glad that you bought a TR-4A, its my favorite of the TR's, for
various reasons and I hope you treat it well and it treats you well.  Enjoy!
Paul A. Carson                           1967 Triumph TR-4A / CTC 78299 LO
Flight Test Navigator                    1974 Norton Commando 850 Mk. II
Lockheed A.S.C.-Ontario, CA
(909) 338-9873
pcarson@primenet.com

Yes, I really do wear a Nomex flight suit to work...to keep the flames off!