Re: Spitfire Differential

To: jpratchi <jpratchi@isdlink1.ess.harris.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Differential
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 20:16:49 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I forgot to mention about the solution to the diff problem if indeed the
diff is bad.  I'd get a new ring and pinion set and install new
bearings.  A place that rebuilds differentials shouldn't have any problem
with this.  A list member offered 3.27 ring and pinions new recently, and
I know that TRF has stocked them as well.  I'd suggest the taller rearend
ratio very strongly, as this cuts down on engine wear and doesn't affect
acceleration once you're moving.  I've got an OD on my spit, but I still
yearn to lower my rpm's on the freeway.  I'd like for once for my top
speed to be limited by wind resistance instead of poor gearing.
        Even with the 4-cyl, I'd advise the 3.27 diff.  I had one in my
car with the 1296cc + O/D, and it was pleasureable.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6