Spitfire Differential

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Differential
From: "jpratchi" <jpratchi@isdlink1.ess.harris.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 95 09:28:57 est
   Can anyone tell me how much backlash it tolerable on a Spitfire
differential and what is the preferred method for measuring it on
the car.  A good question for Greg Meboe maybe?

   It seems if you jack one side of the car with transmission engaged
that measuring the rotation of the raised wheel either angular, or a
measure in inches of movement at the tire edge would be valid and can
be related to the specifications (assuming there is little backlash
inside the tranny.)

   I can feel (and hear) the "slop" in the differential as I engage
the clutch at the present time.  What is the most likely target for
rebuilding the differential... bevel gear, crown gear or everything?
Are the necessary parts available and from who, or do you have to
drop in a new one?

   Thanks for any Ideas.   John Pratchios
   jpratchi@isdlink1.ess.harris.com