Re: [Tigers] The answer to a question that no one asked...

To: Jay <jay.laifman@gmail.com>, Jim B <jbsyv@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] The answer to a question that no one asked...
From: GARY WINBLAD <garywinblad@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 09:40:46 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>

------=_Part_1182871_1735138055.1664977246431

Toyota put a lot of money into hybrids, no wonder they want them to survive=
.
We are real happy with the Prius Prime.  Spec electric range is 25 but we a=
lways get over 30
and we are in the hills.  On the flat and at slower speeds I am sure 35 is =
possible.  We don't
drive much since we are retired but are up to 12K miles  and it is at 163MP=
G.   It gets about
70MPG when we use gas on trips driving 65MPH or so.
Our last regular 2010
Prius had 140K miles and the only problem was the 12V battery went bad.  It=
 always got over
50MPG.
There is a calculator on the Tesla web site to show you how much money you =
can save by
buying a Tesla.  At 163MPG it says zero..  and the Tesla costs probably 3 t=
imes what we paid
(we did get a fantastic deal, $6K off sticker at the end of 2020).

Its good to hear Theo has an electric, and good to hear it is beating its r=
ange spec.

We have to save gas and money for the Tigers!
Gary

>     On 10/04/2022 7:26 PM Jay <jay.laifman@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
>=20
>     My take.  Agree 100% that all cars are silent now except for their ti=
res.  However, I think gas cars do make a little bit more noise when starti=
ng to pull away from a stop - like in a parking space.  So that EVs startin=
g to move can be a surprise.
>=20
>     Toyota has been pushing lately that the 100% EV concept that Californ=
ia is pushing is not realistic and that hybrids will be around for a long t=
ime.  I agree.  We were going to get a Tesla, but now think we=E2=80=99ll p=
robably get a plug in hybrid that has a 35+ mile range.  That will be basic=
ally 100% EV for us most months.
>=20
>     The other thing I don=E2=80=99t possibly fathom is how the vast major=
ity of Los Angeles residents who live in the miles and miles of small apart=
ments buildings will charge.  Those buildings don=E2=80=99t have parking sp=
aces for all tenants.  Who is going to wire up those apartments? =20
@autox.team.net mailto:tigers@autox.team.net > wrote:
> >=20
> >         Okay, here is my take. My first impression is this is as stupid=
 as stupid gets. I did hear somewhere that =E2=80=9Csome=E2=80=9D people ar=
e worried about deaf and/or blind folks not being able to hear an approachi=
ng EV. From experience, I can tell you that NO ONE even hears my F150. Many=
 people step into traffic around here without even looking. We will probabl=
y replace my wife=E2=80=99s compact SUV with an EV in the near future. We a=
lready have a solar array designed to make up for the juice required and I =
plan to install a level 2 charger in the garage. We almost never travel far=
 enough in that car to have to look for a charging station. As for us Calif=
ornia guys, speaking for myself, I think I=E2=80=99ll be long gone before t=
here is absolutely no petrol to be had. Somewhere down the line, it will pr=
obably get very expensive to buy (as if it is not bad already) but, I have =
to actually make a point of driving the Tiger and my big block Ford just to=
 keep em running right. Car shows and Sunday drives are the norm.=20
> >         With all that said; I kinda like the George Jetson sound idea! =
I can see EV drivers gettin creative with sound effects. That could be a ho=
ot. AND, I have to admit that I clothes pinned playing cards into the spoke=
s of my bicycle as a kid!=20
er <jd.sencindiver@gmail.com mailto:jd.sencindiver@gmail.com > wrote:
> > >=20
> > >             Just saw (this weekend) the Borla system get installed on=
 a Mustang MachE on an episode of All Girls Garage (Motor Trend TV).
lto:sabre2tgr@gmail.com > wrote:
> > >=20
> > >                 > > > >                 Just what every EV owner need=
s...
s https://www.borla.com/products/active-performance-sound-for-electric-vehi=
cles/
tigers/jd.sencindiver@gmail.com
/jbsyv@yahoo.com
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > >         > >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >     >=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

------=_Part_1182871_1735138055.1664977246431

<!doctype html>
 <head>=20
 </head>
   Toyota put a lot of money into hybrids, no wonder they want them to surv=
ive.
   We are real happy with the Prius Prime.&nbsp; Spec electric range is 25 =
but we always get over 30
   and we are in the hills.&nbsp; On the flat and at slower speeds I am sur=
e 35 is possible.&nbsp; We don't
   drive much since we are retired but are up to 12K miles&nbsp; and it is =
at 163MPG.&nbsp;&nbsp; It gets about
   70MPG when we use gas on trips driving 65MPH or so.
   Our last regular 2010
   Prius had 140K miles and the only problem was the 12V battery went bad.&=
nbsp; It always got over
   50MPG.
   There is a calculator on the Tesla web site to show you how much money y=
ou can save by
   buying a Tesla.&nbsp; At 163MPG it says zero..&nbsp; and the Tesla costs=
 probably 3 times what we paid
   (we did get a fantastic deal, $6K off sticker at the end of 2020).
   Its good to hear Theo has an electric, and good to hear it is beating it=
s range spec.
   We have to save gas and money for the Tigers!
   Gary
    On 10/04/2022 7:26 PM Jay &lt;jay.laifman@gmail.com&gt; wrote:
their tires. &nbsp;However, I think gas cars do make a little bit more nois=
e when starting to pull away from a stop - like in a parking space. &nbsp;S=
o that EVs starting to move can be a surprise.
    Toyota has been pushing lately that the 100% EV concept that California=
 is pushing is not realistic and that hybrids will be around for a long tim=
e. &nbsp;I agree. &nbsp;We were going to get a Tesla, but now think we=E2=
=80=99ll probably get a plug in hybrid that has a 35+ mile range. &nbsp;Tha=
t will be basically 100% EV for us most months.
    The other thing I don=E2=80=99t possibly fathom is how the vast majorit=
y of Los Angeles residents who live in the miles and miles of small apartme=
nts buildings will charge. &nbsp;Those buildings don=E2=80=99t have parking=
 spaces for all tenants. &nbsp;Who is going to wire up those apartments? &n=
bsp;
       On Oct 2, 2022, at 10:00 PM, Jim B via Tigers &lt;<a class=3D"" href=
=3D"mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";>tigers@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:
pace; line-break: after-white-space;">
My first impression is this is as stupid as stupid gets. I did&nbsp;hear&nb=
sp;somewhere that&nbsp;=E2=80=9Csome=E2=80=9D people are worried about deaf=
 and/or blind folks not being able to hear an approaching EV. From experien=
ce, I can tell you that NO ONE even hears my F150. Many people step into tr=
affic around here without even looking. We will probably replace my wife=E2=
=80=99s compact SUV with an EV in the near future. We already have a solar =
array&nbsp;designed to make up for the juice required and I plan to install=
 a level 2 charger in the garage. We almost never travel far enough in that=
 car to have to look for a charging station. As for us California guys, spe=
aking for myself, I think I=E2=80=99ll be long gone&nbsp;before there is ab=
solutely no petrol to be had. Somewhere down the line, it will probably get=
 very expensive to buy (as if it is not bad already) but, I have to actuall=
y make a point of driving the Tiger and my big block Ford just to keep em r=
unning right. Car shows and Sunday drives are the norm.&nbsp;</span>
nbsp;kinda like the George Jetson sound idea! I can see EV drivers gettin c=
reative with sound effects. That could be a hoot. AND, I have to admit that=
 I&nbsp;clothes pinned&nbsp;playing cards into the spokes of my bicycle as =
a kid!&nbsp;</span>
span>
            On Oct 2, 2022, at 8:14 PM, Jim Sencindiver &lt;<a class=3D"" h=
ref=3D"mailto:jd.sencindiver@gmail.com";>jd.sencindiver@gmail.com</a>&gt; wr=
ote:
             Just saw (this weekend) the Borla system get installed on a Mu=
stang MachE on an episode of All Girls Garage (Motor Trend TV).
              On Sun, Oct 2, 2022, 9:39 PM Stu &lt;<a class=3D"" href=3D"ma=
ilto:sabre2tgr@gmail.com">sabre2tgr@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:
                 Just what every&nbsp;EV owner&nbsp;needs...
                 <a class=3D"" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"https://www.borla.=
com/products/active-performance-sound-for-electric-vehicles/" rel=3D"noopen=
er">Borla Active Performance Sound for Electric Vehicles</a>
:tigers@autox.team.net" rel=3D"noopener">tigers@autox.team.net</a>
=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"noopener">http://www.team.net/d=
onate.html</a>
=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers"; rel=3D"noopener">http://www.team.=