Re: [Tigers] Replacing rear axle bearings

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Replacing rear axle bearings
From: Terry Lawell via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 11:46:04 -0600
--===============4929141589215204928==
 boundary="------------090907080605090108090609"

--------------090907080605090108090609

I have read many of the documented encounters and will be prepared for
the worst. However, it would be nice to get a good step by step
procedure to follow. The manual I have, that came with the car, does not
even mention hubs or wheel bearings, much less procedures to remove
them. I will venture into the jeep community and see what I can find.

Cheers, Terry

On 2/4/22, 10:31 AM, Tom Witt via Tigers wrote:

> You might find this article by Dan Walters helpful.
> http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/WaltersPuller/rt-WaltersHubPuller1.asp
> Pulling the hubs is necessary. Everyone has had different experiences
> but I found the hubs extremely difficult to remove. Likewise getting
> the axles out of the rear tubes. I had written about it in the "Tiger
> 101" article at Tigers United. Unfortunately when Steve had the
> arduous task of changing the whole site format the pages got
> corrupted. Even though the article's page advance doesn't work beyond
> page 2 I was able to /backdoor/ my way to the text portion of later
> pages (below):
>
> /- I nearly knocked the car off jackstands trying to remove the axles
> and to make matters worst later the hubs wouldn't come off either. //I
> tried for days to get those hubs off. Finally I bolted the hub/axle to
> a steel rim, suspended it between two saw horses put a thick steel
> plate over the backed-off nut, applied heat and oil and it still took
> about 15 overhead, full force whacks from a 10 pound sledge hammer
> before they finally came loose. I commented on the Tiger list that I
> would have chained the rearend to a tree stump and thrown it over a
> cliff to get those hubs off. But, knowing my good fortunes the stump
> would have ripped loose, I would have lost the rearend and the Save
> the Trees people would have had me fined for ruining a perfectly good
> tree stump!/
>
> /
> /
>
> I don't say this to discourage you, but do be prepared because it
> MIGHT be difficult beyond the simplicity manuals often state.
>

> On 2/4/2022 6:43 AM, steve wick via Tigers wrote:
>> I believe the rear end is a Dana 44, like used in older Jeeps. You
>> might try a search based on that.
>>
>> Steve

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    I have read many of the documented encounters and will be prepared
    for the worst. However, it would be nice to get a good step by step
    procedure to follow. The manual I have, that came with the car, does
    not even mention hubs or wheel bearings, much less procedures to
    remove them. I will venture into the jeep community and see what I
    can find.<br>
    Cheers, Terry<br>
      Tigers wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:2cacd80c-6d99-001b-d479-a55cb7945c10@verizon.net"
      type="cite">
        charset=ISO-8859-1">
          moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/WaltersPuller/rt-WaltersHubPuller1.asp";

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/WaltersPuller/rt-WaltersHubPuller1.asp</a>
        Pulling the hubs is necessary. Everyone has had different
        experiences but I found the hubs extremely difficult to remove.&nbsp;
        Likewise getting the axles out of the rear tubes. I had written
        about it in the "Tiger 101" article at Tigers United.
        Unfortunately when Steve had the arduous task of changing the
        whole site format the pages got corrupted. Even though the
        article's page advance doesn't work beyond page 2 I was able to
        <i>backdoor</i> my way to the text portion of later pages
        (below):<br>
          the axles and to make matters worst later the hubs wouldn't
          come off either. </i><i>I tried for days to get those hubs
          off. Finally I bolted the hub/axle to a steel rim, suspended
          it between two saw horses put a thick steel plate over the
          backed-off nut, applied heat and oil and it still took about
          15 overhead, full force whacks from a 10 pound sledge hammer
          before they finally came loose. I commented on the Tiger list
          that I would have chained the rearend to a tree stump and
          thrown it over a cliff to get those hubs off. But, knowing my
          good fortunes the stump would have ripped loose, I would have
          lost the rearend and the Save the Trees people would have had
          me fined for ruining a perfectly good tree stump!</i></p>
        </i></p>
        it MIGHT be difficult beyond the simplicity manuals often state.
        Tigers wrote:<br>
cite="mid:SA1PR06MB8356DFCAA74323CC8C4DE0AAD8299@SA1PR06MB8356.namprd06.prod.outlook.com">
          charset=ISO-8859-1">
{margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}</style>
          font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"> I believe the rear end
          is a Dana 44, like used in older Jeeps. You might try a search
          based on that.</div>
          font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"> <br>
          font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"> Steve</div>
        <hr style="display:inline-block;width:98%" tabindex="-1">
            color="#000000" face="Calibri, sans-serif"><b>From:</b>
            Tigers <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"

href="mailto:tigers-bounces@autox.team.net";>&lt;tigers-bounces@autox.team.net&gt;</a>
            on behalf of Terry Lawell via Tigers <a
              moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"

href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";>&lt;tigers@autox.team.net&gt;</a><br>
            <b>To:</b> <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
              href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";>tigers@autox.team.net</a>
            <a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"

href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";>&lt;tigers@autox.team.net&gt;</a><br>
              style="font-size:11pt;">
                write-up or video of how to replace the <br>
                rear wheel bearings on my all original 66 tiger?<br>
                Cheers, Terry<br>
                <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                  class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"

href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";>tigers@autox.team.net</a><br>
                Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
                  moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
                Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers";
                  moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a>
                  moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
                Unsubscribe: <a

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/srwick@hotmail.com";
                  moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/srwick@hotmail.com</a><br>
        <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
        <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";>tigers@autox.team.net</a>

Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a>
 <a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/archive";>http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/atwittsend@verizon.net";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/atwittsend@verizon.net</a>

</pre>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";>tigers@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a>
 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/archive";>http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/tlawell@austin.rr.com";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/tlawell@austin.rr.com</a>

</pre>