Re: [Tigers] Replacing rear axle bearings

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Replacing rear axle bearings
From: Tom Witt via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 08:31:20 -0800

--------------4DqBe2jLP089XtMAsQZcnhFu

You might find this article by Dan Walters helpful.
http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/WaltersPuller/rt-WaltersHubPuller1.asp
Pulling the hubs is necessary. Everyone has had different experiences
but I found the hubs extremely difficult to remove. Likewise getting the
axles out of the rear tubes. I had written about it in the "Tiger 101"
article at Tigers United. Unfortunately when Steve had the arduous task
of changing the whole site format the pages got corrupted. Even though
the article's page advance doesn't work beyond page 2 I was able to
/backdoor/ my way to the text portion of later pages (below):

/- I nearly knocked the car off jackstands trying to remove the axles
and to make matters worst later the hubs wouldn't come off either. //I
tried for days to get those hubs off. Finally I bolted the hub/axle to a
steel rim, suspended it between two saw horses put a thick steel plate
over the backed-off nut, applied heat and oil and it still took about 15
overhead, full force whacks from a 10 pound sledge hammer before they
finally came loose. I commented on the Tiger list that I would have
chained the rearend to a tree stump and thrown it over a cliff to get
those hubs off. But, knowing my good fortunes the stump would have
ripped loose, I would have lost the rearend and the Save the Trees
people would have had me fined for ruining a perfectly good tree stump!/

/
/

I don't say this to discourage you, but do be prepared because it MIGHT
be difficult beyond the simplicity manuals often state.

On 2/4/2022 6:43 AM, steve wick via Tigers wrote:
> I believe the rear end is a Dana 44, like used in older Jeeps. You
> might try a search based on that.
>
> Steve

  <head>
  </head>
        moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/WaltersPuller/rt-WaltersHubPuller1.asp";

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/WaltersPuller/rt-WaltersHubPuller1.asp</a>
      Pulling the hubs is necessary. Everyone has had different
      experiences but I found the hubs extremely difficult to remove.
      Likewise getting the axles out of the rear tubes. I had written
      about it in the "Tiger 101" article at Tigers United.
      Unfortunately when Steve had the arduous task of changing the
      whole site format the pages got corrupted. Even though the
      article's page advance doesn't work beyond page 2 I was able to
<i>backdoor</i>
      my way to the text portion of later pages (below):<br>
        axles and to make matters worst later the hubs wouldn't come off
        either. </i><i>I tried for days to get those hubs off. Finally
        I bolted the hub/axle to a steel rim, suspended it between two
        saw horses put a thick steel plate over the backed-off nut,
        applied heat and oil and it still took about 15 overhead, full
        force whacks from a 10 pound sledge hammer before they finally
        came loose. I commented on the Tiger list that I would have
        chained the rearend to a tree stump and thrown it over a cliff
        to get those hubs off. But, knowing my good fortunes the stump
        would have ripped loose, I would have lost the rearend and the
        Save the Trees people would have had me fined for ruining a
        perfectly good tree stump!</i></p>
      </i></p>
      MIGHT be difficult beyond the simplicity manuals often state. <br>
      Tigers wrote:<br>
cite="mid:SA1PR06MB8356DFCAA74323CC8C4DE0AAD8299@SA1PR06MB8356.namprd06.prod.outlook.com">
{margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}</style>
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        I believe the rear end is a Dana 44, like used in older Jeeps.
        You might try a search based on that.</div>
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        Steve</div>
      <hr style="display:inline-block;width:98%" tabindex="-1">
          face="Calibri, sans-serif" color="#000000"><b>From:</b> Tigers
          <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:tigers-bounces@autox.team.net";>&lt;tigers-bounces@autox.team.net&gt;</a>
 on behalf of Terry
          Lawell via Tigers <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";>&lt;tigers@autox.team.net&gt;</a><br>
          <b>To:</b> <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";>tigers@autox.team.net</a> <a
class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";>&lt;tigers@autox.team.net&gt;</a><br>
            style="font-size:11pt;">
              write-up or video of how to replace the
              rear wheel bearings on my all original 66 tiger?<br>
              Cheers, Terry<br>
              <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";>tigers@autox.team.net</a><br>
              Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
                moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
              Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers";
                moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a>
                moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
              Unsubscribe: <a

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/srwick@hotmail.com";
                moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/srwick@hotmail.com</a><br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";>tigers@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a>
 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/archive";>http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/atwittsend@verizon.net";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/atwittsend@verizon.net</a>

</pre>

--------------4DqBe2jLP089XtMAsQZcnhFu--

--===============1281507491941585779==